Re: Re[2]: Net uplift on joists and joist girders

I had a recent job with bar joists on masonry walls.  For 45 ft spans and 6
ft spacing I had a plate on the face of the wall with 8 - 5/8" dia bolts.
This was primarily for the downward loads.  But, there was uplift.  We made
sure the joist vendor designed to it.   I saw another job where the joist
ends were supported in a masonry pocket.  Couldn't see the anchorage on
that one.

By the way, the uplift bracing was initially installed on the top of the
joist.  There it is totally useless.   Our contractor had not seen it
before.

Ed Haninger
Fluor Daniel
Aliso Viejo, CA

                    JamesFulton@Roh
                    mhaas.com            To:     <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                    01/17/02 05:56
                    AM                   cc:
                    Please respond
                    to seaint            Subject:     Re[2]: Net uplift on joists and joist girders.

                                                                                                                 .

Another aspect is the problem of anchoring the the bar joist into a masonry
wall to resist the net uplift load. The standard of a pair of of "L" anchor
bolts at each joist embedded into a bond beam doesn't calculate for a metal
deck roof in high wind areas. How is this being handled by others ? .......

the views of the company.