Technical Aspect?

I agree that it's unfortunate an apples-to-apples
comparison couldn't be made.  However, most of the
columns I've ever designed were in the
tension-controlled range, and would have been
strengthened by increased axial load.  Without knowing
the particulars, I'd hesitate to jump to any
conclusions about the test.

Mike Hemstad, P.E.
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota