Re: Foundation investigation

Talk to your Geotech about radar.  3-D Seismological techniques might work, but the setup could probably be justified economically for a very large building (like the Pentagon).  Keep in mind that digging test pits may be necessary anyway because, if wood piles were used you will wan to know if they have rotted.  Talk to your Geotech.

Tom

Thomas B. Higgins, P.E., S.E.

Group Mackenzie
0690 S.W. Bancroft Street
Portland, OR 97201
Phone (503) 224-9560
Fax (503) 228-1285
<http://www.groupmackenzie.com>
This e-mail is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is intended solely for the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient, access is prohibited.  As e-mail can be altered, its integrity is not guaranteed.

>>> "Ivy Chou" <kroq(--nospam--at)home.com> 12/18 8:46 PM >>>
I posted the following message late last night and have not received any
response. I'd like to try it again.

I have been asked to evaluate a foundation system of an old commercial
building (10 to 12 story high) built in the 20s or 30s. I suspect that the
building is supported by some kind of deep foundation system. Can anyone
tell me if there is a way to "map" the building foundation components?

Robert Chou S.E.