Splicing of precast concrete piles

This may sound dumb to many of you, but this is definitely not my field of expertise.

I got a query from one of our clients, who is evaluating the cost of a project abroad, which is to be designed acc. to US norms and standards. He wanted to know if US norms _require_ that the splicing of precast concrete piles is able to transfer tensile forces (or bending moments), when the piles are always in compression. In other words, is it sufficient to use a splice made up of a sort of a hat, attached to the bottom of the upper pile, that overlaps the topmost one foot of the underlying pile, without any further attachment.

I could not find any answer in the UBC97, which is to be used for design. I know that Danish norms require that splicing be at least as strong as the pile itself, regardless of the loads imposed.

I can imagine that it would require a rather stiff soil to laterally support the pile in compression if you have a sort of a hinge in the middle, and stiff soil is generally not the case where pile foundations are needed in the first place.

I would be grateful if anyone can tell me where I can find which requirements, if any, US norms have regarding compressive, tensile or bending strength of pile splices, when the piles are always in compression.

With regards,
Gunnar Hafsteinn Isleifsson
Denmark