From: "Gunnar Hafsteinn Isleifsson" <gunnarhi(--nospam--at)post4.tele.dk>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2002 7:40 PM
Subject: Splicing of precast concrete piles

This may sound dumb to many of you, but this is definitely not my field of
expertise.

I got a query from one of our clients, who is evaluating the cost of a
project abroad, which is to be designed acc. to US norms and standards. He
wanted to know if US norms _require_ that the splicing of precast concrete
piles is able to transfer tensile forces (or bending moments), when the
piles are always in compression. In other words, is it sufficient to use a
splice made up of a sort of a hat, attached to the bottom of the upper pile,
that overlaps the topmost one foot of the underlying pile, without any
further attachment.

I could not find any answer in the UBC97, which is to be used for design. I
know that Danish norms require that splicing be at least as strong as the
pile itself, regardless of the loads imposed.

I can imagine that it would require a rather stiff soil to laterally support
the pile in compression if you have a sort of a hinge in the middle, and
stiff soil is generally not the case where pile foundations are needed in
the first place.

I would be grateful if anyone can tell me where I can find which
requirements, if any, US norms have regarding compressive, tensile or
bending strength of pile splices, when the piles are always in compression.

With regards,
Gunnar Hafsteinn Isleifsson
Denmark