Re: z-shaped wood panel shearwalls?

Scott,

I don't think you'd be out of line asking for three free-body diagrams
showing the force transfer into, out of, and between the three
shearwall panels in each Z. I believe the FBDs will illustrate that
either (a) four hold-downs are required (one at each end of a Z and
one at each of the interior corners), or (b) two hold-downs are
required (one at each end) plus some means of keeping the center
panel from rotating (such as drag struts connected to the floor/roof
diaphragms/foundation at the top and bottom of the center panel).

The FBDs will also help answer the question of what should be the
"width" in the aspect ratio test.

Dave Evans, P.E.
TNH, Inc.