From: Albert Meyer [mailto:Ameyer(--nospam--at)martinaia.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 8:55 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Non-shrink grout at steel columns

I've seen different thicknesses of non-shrink grout specified for the gap
between the column base plate and the top of footing.  I have also had steel
fabricators specify leveling plates typically of 1/4" thickness, leaving a
grout depth of what was specified on the drawings less 1/4".  I'd like to
know if anyone has any recommendations on what the most reasonable grout
thickness is that should be specified so that it gets installed correctly
and has the best performance.  Also, are there any negatives to consider in
allowing the use of leveling plates?  Thanks in advance for your response.

Albert J. Meyer, Jr., P.E.
Martin Engineering
(215) 665-8570 Tel
(215) 561-5064 Fax