From: "Nicholas Blackburn" <nblackburn(--nospam--at)fdgoak.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Stopping That Truck !!
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 07:58:09 -0800

copied here is a message regarding a similar subject from some months ago
on
the list (from Mitchell J. Sklar, P.E.):

Back in 1996, I was investigating some damaged steel columns due to a
front end loader 'accidentally knocking into them' over and over again.
The columns were in a trash plant tipping hall and we were checking the
maximum plastic moment to deform some was

Momentum Conservation Method; Kinetic Energy of a Target-Missile
Combination; Force-Time Function Known:

For Automobile Fmax = 0.625 Vs Wm
where
F = force at interface (lb)
Vs = automobile velocity ft/sec
Wm weight of automobile (lbs)

Example 1:
WEIGHT = 8000 LBS
         1.0 mph  (1.467 fps) Imp F = 0.625*Vs*Wm =	7883	lbs
1ST GEAR 4.3 MPH	(6.31  fps)
31533	lbs
2ND GEAR 8.2 MPH	(12.03 fps)
60133	lbs

Example 2 w/ KOMATSU WA450-2 weight 47840#, Vs 1.47, Fmax 43953#

I also have an article regarding the design of cable barrier rails from the
May 1989 Concrete International which may be of some use.

Nicholas Blackburn, PE
mailto:nblackburn(--nospam--at)fdgoak.com