Re: Question about seismic lateral deflection

Thank you to those who responded to my question. You've been helpful. I
don't think it's "sunk in" yet to many East Coast structural engineers
as to the ramifications some of the Code mandated seismic provisions
that are in effect in many areas of the Eastern U.S. The BOCA Code that
was in effect when I began my career in the 70's said something to the
effect of "...seismic design may be neglected in geographic areas where
there is no recorded history of building damage due to earthquakes..."
There are potential major ramifications ($$$) to some types of buildings
in the Eastern U.S. due to provisions in BOCA '96 and the IBC.

Cliff Schwinger