RE: Warning to HP Calculator Users - Repair Address

Mark,
My wife enjoys E-bay (http://www.ebay.com) and on a whim, I asked her to
check for an HP41CV. She found three or four - all of them have at least
two to four days left in the bidding. There is one vintage 41CV with all
original manuals and case in near mint condition (almost never been
used) and the bidding on it has been hot. It is currently at $124.00
with another 2.5 days left on the bidding.

You might check out E-bay as they have a lot of HP calculators listed.
There is also a HP41CV with the Fluid Pack module (no manual) current
bid $55.00 with three days left in the bidding.

I guess others have picked up on HP's backing out of the RPN market and
found that there are collector's values in HP calculators on E-bay.
After reading your post, I can see why and where the market is.
Personally, I like innovation and have an easier time putting older
technology to rest in favor of something new (it took time, but I do
like the 49G). I feel different about cars once I experienced owning a
vehicle without payments and kept my 82 Supra for nearly 18-years before
it gave out. My Jeep is still under extended warranty but I figure it is
good for close to 20 years and I have an 84 Cadillac Seville with 30K
original miles that needs minor A/C and engine (mostly hoses) work which
I received from my mother. The Cadillac is near mint with the chopped
off rear and fake spoke tire over the trunk. Not yet a classic, but it's
the closest I'll ever get to a Caddy in my life :>) - so I guess I can
concede you the love of an HP41CV (which I lent to a friend and never
got back). I did feel bad when my 48SX went out - I really liked that
one and my heart sank when it slipped from my grasp and hit the asphalt.

She found me two 1938 Erector Set's in very good condition (both the
same and equal to one full set) that she bid on and won - and gave me at
Christmas. (7 1/2 Engineers set). She found an earlier wood box only
from an Erector Set that she donated to my office for personal storage -
all labels intact.

I used to think E-bay was something that would never interest me and
I've found some excellent deals on things as long as you are careful
making your purchase (use Paypal or Credit cards - never check or cash).

Hope this will help you find a replacement for your beloved HP41CV. If
you have trouble finding the ones I mentioned above, let me know and
I'll have my wife pull the bid numbers to forward to you.

BTW, my daughter in Chicago as found a nice business opportunity on
E-bay doing something that her mother trained her well for. She is a
full time real-estate broker, but when the market is depressed, she has
compensated her salary very nicely by finding closeouts at various
stores throughout Chicago. She will purchase a number of closeout items
while checking E-bay for similar sales to determine the demand for the
items. If they sell well, she buys a few and posts them for bidding.
What she can't sell, she returns to for refund (most stores have refund
policies but don't want to invest in the time to auction an item on
E-bay and would rather sell it to the public for 20% of retail or less.
She has been compensated very well for slow months - especially since
she is every bit a "shopper" as my wife.
E-bay was the enticement to get my wife computer literate and now that
she was laid off, our daughter is helping me get her up to speed and she
will post her first item for bidding in the next few days.
I told my wife I would support her by teaching her how to post an
announcement on e-Bay using HTML coding to enhance her text. I can't
think of a better way to have taught my wife to become computer literate
than by enticing her one strong desire - shopping. We have a deal - if
she starts making money on e-Bay, she can call me on the weekends while
she is shopping and I'll research e-Bay for any item she thinks might
make money at auction and let her invest lightly to build her skills. In
time, she might learn to use some business software, word processing,
billing software and become a real help to my business at the same time.
One step at a time, but what a way to learn :>)

Sorry for the off-topic, but I know a few of you personally and our
wife's seem to have much in common. You might want to pass this along -
especially if they complain about all the time you spend online. I tease
my wife now about the amount of time she spends online ?>)

Dennis S. Wish, PE
California Professional Engineer

Website:
http://www.structuralist.net