Re: Question about seismic lateral deflection

Cliff:

While the BOCA '96 has more of an impact on the design of buildings out
this way (i.e. not California) than many older codes, it is not that much
different from the 1993 BOCA code.  The major jumps in the BOCA code
really occured back in 1987 and 1990.

The really "shocker" for many engineers in our neck of the woods will
definitely be the IBC.  The detailing requirements for seismic in the
IBC are now also directly related to the type soil at the site.  It used
to be that the soil type only would effect the design loads, but in the
IBC, then soil type also effects Seismic Design Catergory which effect the
detailing requirements.  The end result is that there will be some
locations along the East coast and in the Midwest that will now require
seismic detailing similar to what Californians are used to dealing with
(i.e. what would be zone 3 or 4 under the UBC).

You are certainly correct in the many in our neck of the woods are in for
a "rude shock"!

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI