RE: Vibration Problem

As we know from studying earthquakes, there's a BIG difference between
vibrations that are perceptible (e.g., passing train, heavy equip operation,
etc.)  & those that result in structural damage.  The literature indicates
that peak soil velocities (i.e., ground shock) on the order of hundreths of
ft/s are perceptible, tens of ft/s are unpleasant, approx 2 ft/s is
considered safe for building damage, & it takes 5 - 8 ft/s to damage
plaster.

Glen
LtCol GLEN PAPPAS, Ph.D., P.E.
Structural Engineer

Defense Threat Reduction Agency
Technology Development Directorate, Operational Applications Division,
Structural Dynamics Branch

6801 Telegraph Road                            Phone: (703) 325-0358
Alexandria, VA 22310                           DSN: (312) 221-0358