From: David Williams [mailto:dwilliams(--nospam--at)snydereng.com]
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 9:06 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Concrete slab spec

The following concrete spec for poured slabs (4"-5" thick)has been suggested
by another structural engineer to minimize shrinkage cracks.  It's
simplicity has some appeal.  I've recently used it on a large residence's
basement floor slab with
apparent success.  I post it here for feedback from my learned and
experienced colleagues around the country and world.

6 bag mix
water-cement ratio: 0.45
slump to meet finisher preference (5" default) using mid-range water-reducer
(plasticizer)
NO water added at job site

pros & cons? TIA.

David L. Williams, P.E.