From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 9:04 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Vibration Problem

Glen Pappas wrote:

. > The literature indicates that peak soil velocities (i.e., ground shock)
. > on the order of hundreths of ft/s are perceptible, tens of ft/s are
. > unpleasant, approx 2 ft/s is considered safe for building damage, & it
. > takes 5 - 8 ft/s to damage plaster.

I thought that the peak particle velocity of 2 in/sec was the damage
threshold above which damage *could* occur.

IIRC, the vibration (shock) that could cause damage is such that it would
frighten any person in the building, not just be perceived.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona