RE: Stopping That Truck !!

Title: RE: Stopping That Truck !!

I would like to thank everyone for helping us stop that truck!

We used the energy methods described in the two technical papers that were recommended by Walt Sawruk.  The lateral design force ended up to be about 100 Kips.  The typical bollards consist of 14" X 14" concrete posts, with embedded 10" X 10" X 1/2" steel tubes.  The piers are 18" dia. and 9' long.  The subject truck might "fail" one such bollard, but the overall system (continuous 1" dia. wire rope and adjacent bollards) will stop it.  The bollards at the corners and ends of the wire rope are substantially more stout that all of the others.

Thanks again, y'all.

Stan Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas

Next Question:  Who can recommend a good AND available ice hockey coach?  The Dallas Stars fired both Ken Hitchcock and Bob Gainey this morning!