RE: Stopping That Truck !!

Stan,

I think that the trench idea that someone submitted was best!  All you have
to do is put in water, crocodiles, and cottonmouths, and construct
drawbridges at the entrances and you would have a place truly protected from
trucks <G>.

Roger Turk
Tucson, Arizona

Stan Caldwell wrote:

. > I would like to thank everyone for helping us stop that truck!

. > We used the energy methods described in the two technical papers that were
. > recommended by Walt Sawruk.  The lateral design force ended up to be about
. > 100 Kips.  The typical bollards consist of 14" X 14" concrete posts, with
. > embedded 10" X 10" X 1/2" steel tubes.  The piers are 18" dia. and 9'
. > long. The subject truck might "fail" one such bollard, but the overall
. > system (continuous 1" dia. wire rope and adjacent bollards) will stop
. > it.  The bollards at the corners and ends of the wire rope are
. > substantially more stout that all of the others.

. > Thanks again, y'all.

. > Stan Caldwell, P.E.