From: "David Compton" <dcompton(--nospam--at)urbaneering.com>
To: "Seaoc List" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Vibration Problem
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 19:47:30 -0500

Hi All,

I could use some help.  I am investigating a single family home in Florida
constructed of masonry block with monolithic slab-on-grade.  The structure
has cracking of the block along the rear of the home.  Hand Augurs, SPT
Borings, GPR all show nothing. I am at a loss for a cause, expect for a
long
shot.  Around the time the cracks started showing up, some heavy
construction (I believe earth work) was going on about 200' to 300' to the
rear of the structure.  No vibration monitoring was conducted at the time
of
the construction.  Is it possible that the construction could of caused the
cracking, and is there any reading material available on the subject that
might help me. Thanks in advance.

David L Compton, PE
Urbaneering, Inc.
Civil Engineering & Inspection Services