RE: IBC Load combinations

The "E" numbers are roughly equal in each equations (0.7E ~= E/1.4), why are the dead load factors so different?  The 1/3 increase will only make matters worse with the higher dead load number.
-----Original Message-----
From: David Williams [mailto:dwilliams(--nospam--at)snydereng.com]
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 2:36 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: IBC Load combinations

As stated in paragraph 1605.3.2 Formula 16-18 allows allowable stress increases or load combination reductions where permitted by the material section of IBC or referenced code.  Formula 16-12 does not permit allowable stress increases. I believe this accounts for the difference you see in the equations.

HTH
David L. Williams, P.E.
Vice-Pres., Snyder Engineering, Inc.
409 Vandiver Drive, Bldg. 5, Ste 203