Subject: Snow Loads on existing roofs due to the addition of New Mechanical Equipment.

Subject: Snow Loads on existing roofs due to the addition of New Mechanical
Equipment.

There are an increasing number of clients in our region of the US
(Pennsylvania, New Jersey) that are always looking to add large HVAC units
to their existing facilities. In general the units can be 10'-0" high by
30'-0" long, and as a result they will impact the existing roof system due
to snow drift. Both BOCA-1996 and ASCE 7-95 give design guidelines for "Roof
Projections" if the equipment rests directly on the roof.

Our question is in the Commentary to ASCE 7-95 (section 7.8, page 179) a
vague reference is given to "elevating solar collectors several feet (a
meter or more) above the roof on a open system of structural supports" and
this will significantly diminish drifting. We have used this as a guide in
the pass, but we would like to know if any individuals have additional
sources for design.

Joe Ferry