SHALLOW FOUNDATIONS

Recently I had a talk with a friend and he kind of "opened my eyes"
regarding foundations theory. I use Foundation Analysis and Design
by Joseph E. Bowles as my reference in this matter. He claimed that it was
"old theory" and that I should consider reading and using Principles of
Foundation Engineering by Braja M. Das, that has newer info. We all know
foundation design is more an art than a science but he mentioned some "out
of fashion" things in my book (modulus of subgrade reaction, springs, etc.)
that made me think about his advise.

Any thoughts or comments on this?

JJ