Air Ducts in Slabs-on-Grade ?

Ken:

My post, way back whenever, probably involved ducts embedded within
elevated, structural concrete floor slabs.  I have never heard of air ducts
being cast into slabs-on-grade.   It seems to me that the types of problems
that you are now experiencing could have been predicted by any competent
structural engineer, even back in 1950.  Then again, single family homes
didn't usually involve engineers back then, and very few do today.  Texas
state law still does not require such homes to be designed by licenses
professional engineers.  Our firm does not, and will not, do any residential
work.

Now then, my specific answers to your questions are:

1]	No.

2]	I recommend that you fill all of the voids 100% with high strength
grout.  This can be done by pumping.

3]	This probably varies from company to company.  Have your lawyer read
your insurance policy.  Perhaps you can hit the jackpot ... are there any
signs of mold? <grin>

I am forwarding this correspondence to the SEAINT Listserv.  Perhaps one of
the 20,000 other subscribers can help you.  You can monitor the responses
without subscribing by searching through the living archives at
http://www.euken.com/group/seaoc/.

Good luck!

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E., F.ASCE
Vice President
Halff Associates, Inc.
8616 Northwest Plaza Drive
Dallas, Texas  75225
Phone:  (214) 346-6280
Fax:  (214) 739-0095
Email:  scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com
Website:  http://www.halff.com