Re: Bomb Blast proof structures

Ed:

The reference from Glen is a good place to start.

We've economically designed several blast resistant projects using the
SidePlate steel moment connection system for various governmental agencies
such as the FAA, GSA and U.S. Navy over the last few years.

Each agency has there own specific design criteria, although they are all
very similar.  In addition to the postulated blast pressure loads at certain
distances from the structure, a typical design requirement we've seen and
designed the superstructure for is the mitigation of progressive collapse
using 'missing column' scenarios.

Engineers interested in reading more about the behavior of steel frame
connections subjected to blast loading are encouraged to access the
following research presented at the recent National Symposium on
Comprehensive Force Protection sponsored by the Society of American Military
Engineers (SAME) at The Citadel, Charleston, South Carolina, November 1-2,
2001
http://www.sideplate.com/pdf/sideplate_mitigatecollapse.pdf(SAME  PAPER),
http://www.sideplate.com/reducedpresention_files/frame.htm(SAME  Slide
Presentation).

Since the 9/11 terrorist attacks, we have seen current industry blast
criteria augmented by the introduction of the following 3 design measures:

1) For external threats or internal threats (as applicable), design all
exterior vertical load-carrying elements to sustain a loss of lateral
support at ANY of the floor levels by adding one story height to the nominal
unsupported length.

2) Remove one primary load carrying beam or column, analyze the structure
and ensure it won't experience a progressive collapse.

3) Design all floors with improved capacity to withstand load reversals.

To learn more about how SidePlate connection technology uniquely satisfies
these Blast criteria, go to http://www.sideplate.com/faq04.html.

Henry Gallart, S.E.
Vice President
SidePlate Systems, Inc.