Overchute design

Hi everyone:

One of our client wants our firm to design an 8' wide sloping overchute(A
Flume or bridge with sideboards for passing flood water across an
irrigation ditch or canal) structure. Which is about 140' long going over a
25' wide canal centered at 90' from high end.

The hydrologist told us to design it for 18" deep of water flow.

Besides the structural design requirements, what other issues we shall be
aware of?

For example, shall we have some kind of joint within the total length of
overchute?

Any reference out there?

TIA

Julian Chu