Collateral ceiling load

David,

I recently went thru evaluating the collateral loads attached to the roof of
an industrial building using the actual equipment in the particular building
and then calculating an equivalent uniform load that would essentially
produce the same effect.  The collateral dead loads that I came up with were:

   Purlins (spaced at 8'):   10 psf
   Beams (spaced at 20'):     5 psf

Heavy industrial buildings could have more; warehouse type buildings would
have less.

These would, of course, be in addition to the constructed dead load, which I
use a minimum of 10 psf.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

David Williams wrote:

. > I'm reviewing a submittal from a pre-engineering metal building company
. > for a 200'x240' light manufacturing facility.  What's a reasonable
. > ballpark number for the collateral load from an automatic sprinkler
. > system and electrical lighting fixtures/conduit (no HVAC)? I couldn't
. > find anything specific in the controlling code (96 BOCA) or in the IBC.

. > TIA

. > David L. Williams, P.E.