Re: Code Interpretation

The first logical question would be "Which code?"

Different organizations handle it differently.

For example, if you want an official interpretation of the ACI 318
Structural concrete code, then you submit the request to ACI with an
administration fee.  The question is sent to the 318 committee who then
process it as if it were a proposed change to the code (i.e. the committee
prepares the response using the same consensus process as it does for code
changes).  This generally could take quite a while (i.e. several months to
a year).

For questions about the model building codes themselves (i.e. IBC, UBC,
BOCA, SBC), the process will not be the same since the model building
codes generally don't operate on a consensus process.  You also have to
factor in the local code offical.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI