old "unfinished" and "finished" bolts

The general notes on some early 1950's drawings call for finished
3/4"  bolts in some locations and unfinished 3/4" bolts in others.
There are no ASTM references.  I have allowable shear information
for unfinished bolts, but not for finished bolts.  Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Dave Evans, P.E.
TNH, Inc.