Re: Slab Embedment Question

I believe that the current provisions in the ACI 318 code for development
of reinforcement don't really "use" a calculation of bond stress.  I
believe the intent of the current provisions are to provide a development
length  for the bar that will allow the bar to yield prior to pulling out
or failing in some other mechanism.  Thus, if you determine the
development length of a #6 bar for you conditions per chapter 12 of
318-99, then I believe the bar would be capable developing its yield
strength (i.e. 60 ksi for Gr.  60 bar), which in theory would allow a
force of 60 ksi * the area of a #6 bar.

You can take a look at some of the publications from ACI committee 408
which would be one of the sources for ACI 318's provisions.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI