RE: Bolt perforations

>I would like to know about any
>experiences on how much larger should a
>hole for a bolt should be made in a
>steel structural element that is
>going to be galvanized after fabrication,
>such as a large truss for a
>bridge.

There is no difference in the hole size permitted when the material is to be
galvanized. And as stated in the following Q&A, the answer part of which
comes from Tom Langhill of the American Galvanizers Association, there is no
need to change the hole size to accomodate the galvanizing.

    http://www.aisc.org/modernsteel/msg.asp?QuesID=75

Hole sizes for bolts in steel-to-steel structural connections are given in
Section 3.3 of the 2000 RCSC Specification for Structural Joints Using ASTM
A325 or A490 Bolts, which is available for free download at
http://www.boltcouncil.org. This same information is also reflected into
Section J1.2 of the AISC LRFD Specification for Structural Steel Buildings,
which is available for free download at http://www.aisc.org and described
with additional links of related information here:

    http://www.engr.psu.edu/ae/steelstuff/lrfdspec.htm

Hope this helps.

Charlie