Re: Lack of Drafters

I've observed another odd trend here in Little Rock:

Some, though not all, "experienced" drafters I've seen hired were worse than
the "green" drafters we got straight out of technical school.  I'm saddened
especially by one particular guy we hired who clearly had talent, but wouldn't
do the work.  We hired two "green" guys shortly after we fired him, and got
more than twice the output, despite having to teach them structural drafting in
multiple materials.

My theory on this is that drafters who are of poor quality bounce from job to
job, sometimes with recommendations, and never improve.  Whereas you can
occasionally get good help straight out of technical school because those folks
are motivated to improve their skills and become part of your "team".

Certainly good drafters are out there, but if they have good jobs, why would
they want to change jobs?  It took an office and a cushy salary to get me to
move this last time; I'm of the opinion a good drafter is worth more than me.

-Keith Fix, PE
-Little Rock, AR