RE: Column Stiffeners

I have a Steel column supporting a Steel Beam on a
> seated beam connection on the flange of the column .
> The member forces exceed the minimum so that column
> stiffeners are required as per AISC Code. However the
> Contractor reasons that the stiffened seat of the beams
> act as stiffeners and thus column stiffeners are not needed.

Unless there is an axial force in the beam (or I am completely misunderstanding the situation), I don't know why you would need a stiffener at a seated shear connection to a column flange. The vertical reaction is simply delivered to the column through its flange.

Sometimes the beam web has insufficient local strength and will require stiffening of the web of the beam. Is this what you meant?

Charlie