Re: Crack Control Joints - Unreinforced Slab on Grade

Bill,

You may want to consider steel fibers.
http://www.fibermesh.com/products/ourProducts.asp?product=N

For joint spacing ACI 224.3R, "Joints in Concrete Construction", has a nice
summary of the suggestions from several notable publications.  The spacing
varies depending on the slab thickness and aggregate size but tends to be
in the 15 to 20 foot range.  Other good sources are ACI 302.1R, "Guide for
Concrete Floor and Slab Construction" and PCA, "Concrete Floors on Ground".

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Duke/Fluor Daniel

                    "Bill
                    Polhemus"            To:     <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                    <bill@polhemus       cc:
                    .cc>                 Subject:     Crack Control Joints - Unreinforced Slab on Grade

                    02/04/02 08:42
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to seaint

I've got to design an unreinforced slab on grade for a nightclub. The
"unreinforced" part is the owner's requirement; the mall in which the
nightclub is being built uses unreinforced concrete throughout. The slab
I'm
in charge of is about 160' X 120', with 40' square construction pours.

I'm debating what sorts of measures to take to ensure the slab doesn't
crack
(it will be exposed over about half the surface area, with some sort of
clear seal applied). I was thinking of using synthetic fibers but am not
sure if that would create a problem with application of the clear seal.

Also, I'm contemplating control joints at 20' (quartering the pour panels),
but see very little in the way of guidelines for control joint spacings in
the literature.

Does anyone have any enlightenment to share?