RE: Lack of Drafters

At my previous employer we hired, over a 15-year period, 3 guys who had come
from Workers' Compensation training.

Each had experienced a construction accident that left them unable to return
to full-time work on site. As part of their compensation package, the WCB
had covered their costs to attend Community College and train as a civil
engineering technologist.

One was in his 40's, the others in their 30's. All three were outstanding
workers. Two had been framers, one a concrete worker. They all had a desire
to learn, and they knew how buildings work. One worked primarily on
inspections, the others did a mix of drafting and inspections. To put it
mildly, it was joy to be able to ask the drafter to draw a wall section, or
whatever, and not to have to explain what it was.

These guys were not so young, but they had family responsibilities and they
realized, I think, that they had received (through misfortune, to be sure) a
real opportunity. None of them wasted it. Two of them discovered hidden
talents, and later took up part-time teaching positions.

This serves to reinforce Lynn's experience - there's a lot of people out
there in construction who are there only by chance - they just may not have
been able to keep up with the academic track at school, and ended up
drifting. But the experience they gain during that period is valuable, if
only we can get at it.

Peter James