From: Gerard Madden [mailto:gmadden(--nospam--at)duquette-eng.com]
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 6:30 PM
To: SEAINT LISTSERVER (E-mail)
Subject: Lack of Drafters

Is it just me, or is there a shortage of even 1/4 decent drafters out there.
I have been interviewing people for the a couple of the places I have worked
and I have been severely disappointed at the capabilities of most
applicants.

I even went as far to create a cad test. I was able to complete the test in
45 minutes (re-create a hand drafted steel detail into autocad). I realize
that since I created the test, I understand the drawing, and I have a
structural background, that I will be faster than the typical test taker.
But I am having people spend over 3 hours trying to draft what I consider a
typical detail in a structural office and then I still find a ton of
mistakes (improper scale, missing information, wrong linetypes...)

Is everyone out there just starting from scratch with drafters, taking the
time to train and develop their skills, or are you capable of finding people
with experience? We advertised 2 year exp in structural, 20 25 bucks an
hour. I thought that was reasonable for that amount of experience. I had one
lady today ask for 35 an hour and I had to ask her to leave after 3 1/2
hours because she was too slow. These are the issues I now have fun dealing
with in my "Management" position.

Frustrated in San Jose,

-gerard

Gerard Madden, PE
Design Group Manager

Duquette Engineering
10 South Third Street
San Jose, CA 95113
T: 408.494.0944 - ext 102
F: 408.494.0940
E: gmadden(--nospam--at)duquette-eng.com
w: www.duquette-eng.com