From: JamesFulton(--nospam--at)Rohmhaas.com [mailto:JamesFulton(--nospam--at)Rohmhaas.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 5:56 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Horizontal Tank Concrete Saddle Design

I am interested in any references on this, particularly on slide bearing
design. The only design reference I've got is the Zick paper. Here, the
resultant horizontal component of tank bearing stress distribution along
the
saddle is given (spliting force), which would be used to determine the
moment
and reinforcing in the saddle horns.

Regarding the bearings, is simple neoprene material (1/2") normally used or
is a layered bearing system more typically seen. Any good design guidance
here ? The tank is 30,000 gal of SG= 1.20 material, 9 ft diam x 65 ft.
long.
Total bearing force is around 185 kips. Thanks for any input.