Re: Horizontal Tank Concrete Saddle Design

James,

	You've now got my attention!

	I've designed foundations or support structures for literally hundreds
of horizontal vessels and exchangers on literally dozens of
petrochemical projects.  These have ranged in size from very small
vessels which could rest on a pile cap supported by a single pile up to
22 feet in diameter by 240 feet long.  To date I have never seen a
vessel saddle that was anything other than steel, fabricated as part of
the vessel itself.

	I'm not sure I understand why you would like to do anything
differently; but I would like to read the Zick paper myself.  Could you
give me a reference please.

	I can visualize some problems using concrete saddles.
1.)  Normally, the transfer of the vertical load from the vessel is
largely through  welds between the "horns" of the saddles and the vessel
side wall.  Using concrete saddles you would be relying on bearing on
the bottom of the vessel which would greatly impact on the design of the
vessel.  You might be able to use shear keys on the side of the vessel
grouted into the saddle.
2.)  Design of the sliding end could be quite challenging.  Perhaps some
type of sling would work; then it wouldn't matter whether you used a
steel ar a concrete saddle.

	This promises to be "verrry interestink"  I can hardly wait to read the
other replies.

	Good luck with this investigation.

				Regards,

				H. Daryl Richardson