RE: x-bracing connections

Ron,

X-bracing can be a problem, but is easily fixed.  Many savvy detailers will
detail X-braces 1/8" short, and use 2 bolts at each end as a minimum.  Then
the iron workers will drive bull pins (or drift pins depending on the iron
worker regional jargon) in the outboard holes to line up the second hole and
install the bolt.  The bull pin is then removed and the other bolt is
installed.

Another approach is to use over sized holes in the gusset and use a slip
critical connection.  This is a good solution when you have a lot of bolts
and claw angles where fit up can be problematic, but is over kill for only a
little L 3x3x1/4 X-brace.

Tell the iron workers that if they knew ANYTHING about hanging iron there
should be no problem.  Oh yeah, then you need to run like hell!!

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague