Re: x-bracing connections

If you have the room, try slotted holes and slip critical
bolts.

Ralph Benson
Carter::Burgess, Inc.
Dallas

>>> ronhill(--nospam--at)hillce.com 2/5/02 11:32:19 AM >>>
I have a client that says he has problems in the field with bolting
x-bracing.  The diagonals are generally 3x3 x1/4 angles bolted to gussets.
The holes are 13/16" diameter predrilled for 3/4" bolts.  They claim that
the holes never align.  They want to maintain an all bolted erected
structure and welding the angle to the gusset is not an option.

Has anyone had this problem with miss matched holes??  They claim the hole
locations are correct based on shop drawings but they think tolerances cause
the problem.

Ronald Hill, P.E.
HILL Consulting Engineering
PO BOX 26525