From: "Alex C. Nacionales" <acnacionales(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Modeling  Spread Footings for buildings
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 23:03:54 -0800

I have always modeled spread footings as a fixed support at the level of
the natural ground line then designed the footing for the axial load and
moment from the columns. Lately I found from a textbook (Seismic Design of
RC and Masonry Buildings by Paulay and Priestly), where it says it is
better to model it as a hinged support and put Footing Tie Beams to take
care of the moments. It also states that the location where the base shear
acts, Whether at the base of the footing or at the natural ground line must
be established. I have always assumed it to be acting at the natural ground
level.

Your comments and opinions will be appreciated. TIA.

Alex C. Nacionales

SYED FAIZ AHMAD; MENGG, MASCE
SENIOR STRUCTURAL ENGINEER
SAUDI OGER LTD