RE: AUTOCAD: Getting The Text Size Right

Bill,

This will be almost impossible to explain via. email but here goes.

If you are using associative dimensioning and have drawings if differing
scales within the same file, you need to set up a dimension style for each
scale.

Example, If you have a detail @ 1"=1'-0" and another at 3/4"=1'-0", you need
to have a dimension style for each. In the Dimension style under the
Geometry Tab, there is a OVERALL SCALE in the lower left hand corner.
Changing this value will scale text, tick marks, arrowheads, etc to match
whatever scale you are dealing with. So for your 1"=1'-0" - you would set
this value to 12. For the 3/4"=1'-0", you need to do a SAVE AS within the
dimension style dialog box and give it a new name "ie.e DIM-16". Then in the
geometry tag, use OVERALL SCALE = 16.

Within each dimension style, the text height within the annotations dialog
box should be you printed height of text on paper (i.e. 3/32 or 1/8).

On a related matter, I absolutely steer clear of paper space whenever
possible. It's is unavoidable in some cases (long buildings with a
matchline, 3-D details, and if you do blowup plans). I highly recommend
using XREFs and using a detail file naming system to catalog your jobs. This
also makes it easier to work from job to job. Paper space has changed since
R14, it's better and so much better than back in R12. Xreffing has its own
set of problems, but once you understand it - life is worth living again. It
also solves the problems of using multiple scaled drawings within one file -
what happens is each detail is an individual file and all you do is load its
image to the sheet you will use to print. No viewports are necessary and no
screwing up of the scale in floating model space. Also, when you add some
text that goes outside the viewport, you don't get the big surprise when you
plot.

Email privately your file if you want me to get you started and I'll set up
the dimension styles for you.

-gerard
SJ, CA