From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 2:59 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: AUTOCAD: Getting The Text Size Right

While I won't claim to be an AutoCAD expert, I did get somewhat familiar
with it at one company (although it was tough to get over my training on
Microstation...I still call it AutoBAD even though I mean it less).

At the company where I learned AutoCAD, we would draw the line work in
model space and put all the dimensioning and text in paper space.  I can
not honestly recall if we used the auto dimensioning in AutoCAD or not (I
don't think so), so this may explain why it worked for us but not in
Bill's situation.  This method created the obvious problem of being able
to easily copy a detail from one job to another (i.e. you had some of the
detail in model space and some in paper space), but it did make it easier
in the sense that you did not have keep adjusting the text scale for
different scale details like I was used to doing in Microstation.

The suggestion that Gerard has of using Xrefing definitely has some merit.
It will mean maintaining a larger set of files, but has some definite
advantages.  And, as Gerard pointed out, since AutoCAD Xrefing has gotten
better in recent years (still not quite as good as referencing in
Microstation in my opinion), it has become a better option.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Gerard Madden wrote:

> Bill,
>
> This will be almost impossible to explain via. email but here goes.
>
> If you are using associative dimensioning and have drawings if differing
> scales within the same file, you need to set up a dimension style for each
> scale.
>
> Example, If you have a detail @ 1"=1'-0" and another at 3/4"=1'-0", you
need
> to have a dimension style for each. In the Dimension style under the
> Geometry Tab, there is a OVERALL SCALE in the lower left hand corner.
> Changing this value will scale text, tick marks, arrowheads, etc to match
> whatever scale you are dealing with. So for your 1"=1'-0" - you would set
> this value to 12. For the 3/4"=1'-0", you need to do a SAVE AS within the
> dimension style dialog box and give it a new name "ie.e DIM-16". Then in
the
> geometry tag, use OVERALL SCALE = 16.
>
> Within each dimension style, the text height within the annotations dialog
> box should be you printed height of text on paper (i.e. 3/32 or 1/8).
>
> On a related matter, I absolutely steer clear of paper space whenever
> possible. It's is unavoidable in some cases (long buildings with a
> matchline, 3-D details, and if you do blowup plans). I highly recommend
> using XREFs and using a detail file naming system to catalog your jobs.
This
> also makes it easier to work from job to job. Paper space has changed
since
> R14, it's better and so much better than back in R12. Xreffing has its own
> set of problems, but once you understand it - life is worth living again.
It