Re: Modeling Spread Footings for buildings

Dear Alex
In general the approach is alright, But during Earthquake where, there is
possibility of being liquefaction of  soil, localized failure of soil,
differential settlement. In these considerations footings design with tie
beams   performs relatively better as it is capable to redistribute loads.
But the location of tie beam is very important, Tie beam or Beams
making  short piece of column (relatively high I/L) at any joint will be
induced higher moment and shear forces.

with best regards
Ahsan Habib
aunuzaht(--nospam--at)bangla.net