Re: 16" O.C. Spacing

F. S. Rahbar,

	I understand, rightly or wrongly, that the present commonly used system
of residential framing was first used by the famous American architect
H. H. Richardson (no relation that I know of) back in the nineteenth
century.  A review of his work might give you the answer.  Otherwise, it
may just be that 8', 12' and 16' boards just divided up into 24" or 16"
spacing more readily than any other spacing.  If you do do some research
I' would be interested in knowing the origin of 19.2"; I assume that
19.2 was used because it was 8' divided by 5 spaces, based on plywood
dimensions.

				Regards,

				H. Daryl Richardson