Re: Light Pole Failure

>Failure has occurred in the steel tube just above the fillet weld between
>the top of base plate and the tube section.
>
>Would be interested to hear some opinions or from those who may have
>experience with similar failures.
I ran into a failed light post that was a combination of fatigue and
corrosion. Contrary to what you might imagine from you LRFD lectures the
service loading drives the response. Check for fatigue cracking at the
toe of the fillet and while you're about it look for corrosion damage.
You didn't mention the material of construction. Might it be aluminum or
high strength steel?

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw