Re: IBC soil profile

Rick
The reason for ignoring hard and soft rocks is that they generaly have a
very high value of N and do not change the result by much.  The value
for N is, in any case approximate and varies at each bore hole.
IMO, such judgment calls are best left to the geotechnical engineer who
knows better. After all, you wouldn't let a soils guy design the
footings of a building "according to the code". However, if you insist
on doing the work yourself, I would humbly advise a conservative
approach.

Syed A Masroor
Consulting Structural Engineer
Karachi, Pakistan