From: Jnapd(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Jnapd(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2002 2:28 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: 1997 UBC 2320.2 & 1605.2

Scott:
Here in Southern California we use an exception to the UBC.
1999 SEA California    Recommended Lateral Force Requirements and Commentary

Sec 105.4.4 Combinations Along the Same Axes

Exception: For light frame buildings in occupancy groups 4 & 5 and of two stories or less in height, the lateral force resisting elements are permitted to be designed using the least value of R for the different structural systems found on each independent line of resistance.  The value of R used for the design of diaphragms for a given direction of loading in such structures shall not be greater than the least value used for any of the systems in that same direction.

Joe Venuti

Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs,  CA