RE: through-truss without top chord bracing

Ken:

I believe these pony trusses were quite common in Ohio for short highway
bridges. You might also want to check the old Ohio Highway spec. More than
a few of these bridges collapsed as a result of a vehicle hitting one of
the trusses (a lateral load that was not anticipated). The top chord was
typically designed as a column with elastic lateral supports.

Another approach would be to extend some of the floor beams and provide a
diagonal up to the top chord at perhaps the ends and mid-span.

Jim Kestner
Somerville Inc.
2100 Riverside Drive
Green Bay, Wi  54301