RE: reinforcement splices

By tension zones, do you mean flexural tension or direct tension on the full
cross-section?

For flexural tension zones, I would say that it is "preferred" but not
essential to keep splices out of the tension zones. For beams where loads
tend to be higher and more concentrated, my standard details show splices to
be located away from tension zones. But for walls of liquid containment
structures, I frequently use splices in the wall dowels just above the base
slab, and splices at wall corners. These are regions of high moments for
such structures. However, design is per ACI 350 which uses higher load
factors/lower service load stresses, so tension stresses should be lower
than for other designs.

As a further question for others who design liquid containing structures,
does anyone regularly include diagonal bars at interior corners of walls
which have internal fluid load (e.g., "optional bars" per ACI SP-66 (88)
Fig. 11)? I've seen numerous sources which "recommend" such bars but rarely
see them in practice.