Need help on issue that has been discuss

Lynn,

Let me answer your question by asking a question.  Where would you think that
another engineer's responsibility ended if he/she came to the same conclusion
that you have and "walked away?"  What if those observations were correct and
your mother/sister/daughter worked in that building during an earthquake and
mother nature validated those observations?

That said, I think that it would be appropriate for you to notify the
building official that you have some concerns about the structural
engineering on the building and recommend that it be investigated further
and in greater detail by the building official.  This notification should
definitely be in writing.  A copy of the letter probably should go to BORPELS
if you believe the errors were the result of incompetency by the engineer.

Good luck!

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Lynn Howard wrote:

. > I need help on an issue I know has been addressed
. > before, but to be honest I did not pay much attention
. > to it because it did not directly effect me at the
. > time.

. > There is a new three story office building being
. > constructed, it totals about 50,000 square feet.  The
. > first floor, first floor walls, and second floor slab
. > is all concrete and concrete block.  The second floor
. > concrete slab is about to be placed.  The upper floors
. > are wood and steel.

. > Our office did not do the design for the building, but
. > we have been asked by a tenant that is going to occupy
. > some of the building to provide structural design for
. > their T.I. work.  They have some heavy equipment going
. > in, so there is some significant structural work that
. > will have to be done in order to accommodate this
. > equipment.

. > The Architect of the building provided us with a
. > complete set of plans and structural calculations so we
. > could do our work.  Once we got into the plans and
. > calculations, it became obvious to us that the Engineer
. > of Record for this building did not provide a design
. > that conforms to Code.  Many of the Code violations are
. > in the area of seismic design.  But some are simply of
. > a gravity load type error also.  We did not do a
. > detailed review of the plans and specifications, but we
. > saw enough to know that we want nothing to do with this
. > project.  We have told the tenant that we are not going
. > to provide the structural design they have requested,
. > and we have told the tenant exactly why.

. > My question is if we bow out of this project, am I done
. > with my professional responsibilities under my capacity
. > as a licensed structural engineer in the State of
. > California?  I would like to just walk away from this
. > whole thing and not get involved any further.  But I
. > also want to make sure  I am not walking away from and
. > responsibilities that I may have as a licensed
. > engineer.