Re: 1970's Panelized Roof - Question

hi Dennis,

your loading seems appropriate, 12 psf dead and 20 psf live reduceable to
12psf at the girders. I would use the AC units as dead load, however i wouuld
still reduce the live load since you will not have anyone standing on top of
the unit. I would first try to locate the units as close as possible to the
column locations, since your GLB's are most likely overstressed in bending
and deflection. If you cannot get your GLB's to work that way then one method
I have used in the past is a King post in the center of the beam with cables
transferring the load back to the columns or to the end of the girder.

Tony Hoballah
LSI, Long Beach.