RE: 1970's Panelized Roof - Question

Stan,
The bearing walls are too far away (more than 20 feet) from where the
units are placed. This might require larger units. However, you raise a
good point as the problem in the calculations was that bending was
excessive as I applied the concentrated load of two units at the center
of the GLB Girder for worst case loading. Inasmuch as I can't get ten
units axial on four columns, I can space them so that they lie closer to
the columns and remove some of the bending stress by increasing the
shear at the ends of the beam. There is definitely much more capacity
available to me in shear than in bending.
One problem still plagues me - based on current calculations, the
Girders are already overstressed nearly 25%. I have not, as Roger
suggested, considered any stress reduction for beam depth and I might
look at this. Also, I have to have the contractor verify the actual size
of the Girders as he gave me numbers that were rounded out. A 7" GLB
could be either a 6.75" or if I recall, there used to be a 7.75" for an
8x GLB at one time. I don't think they are made any more, but will need
to search my older AITC manuals. I suspect that they may be wider than
narrower and if so, this will give me a bit more room on the bending
capacity to work with.

I will take into consideration all of the ideas I have received from the
list members - they really help me seek creative alternatives to solving
the problem (one of my main goals when Shafat and I started the list - I
was scared of moving away from the big city where I had more
accessibility to my peers).

Thanks again.

Dennis S. Wish, PE
California Professional Engineer